Skip to main content

Weird but Good..like me

I just finished Now You're One of Us by Asa Nonami. This creepy, not too chilly chiller was a page turner. A young woman marries into her husband's super happy family. Things are weird from the get-go and hints at a deeper darkness emerge slowly as the story unfolds. What I really admired was how Nonami shows repeat themes in the plot without rehashing the story over and over again. The main character falls into an obsession over the death of a neighbor who had connections with the family. At the same time, the family is influencing the young bride in an effective manner and the change in the character's demeanor is subtle and complete. I couldn't put it down. By the end, the story had fallen into a hypnotic, trippy nightmare that leads to a complex spooky climax. My only regret is that I didn't read this one in October or during a thunderstorm. Woooooo....(insert ghostly howling) Other reviewers comparing the story to Rosemary's Baby are not far off, and like Rosemary's Baby the reader never gets the whole picture only a snapshot into the horror of this woman's experience.

Comments

Andrea said…
Wow! I'm intrigued... I think I'm going to read this too!

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...