Skip to main content

Hmmm

I just finished Gone, which was really interesting, when I noticed that it was 558 pages long. This means that I DID finish the Chunkster Challenge. It was four books over 450 pages. The only thing I did not do is stick to my original list of books. Oh, and I broke my own rule of no YA but everyone else did too! Did you see how many Breaking Dawns are on that list? I read that too, but didn't count it.
Anyway, Gone was really cool. The world ends in this way: everyone over the age of 15 is "gone" and several kids in the story have acquired special powers a la Heroes (lightning speed, shooting lasers out of one's hands, etc). The animals have mutated too. Talking coyotes anyone? I thought the pace was rather page turning and the characters pretty believable for 14 year olds stuck all alone. One manages to run a McDonalds all by himself, and I thought that was funny. I think this book would make a great movie.
So, wrapping up the Fall semester at school and I have to take a Winterim course. So I will not be getting a break. But it's all worth it to be done in May. Whoo-hoo! I do plan to get some reading done over the holidays and for my train ride too and fro school I have uploaded a couple of audio books to listen to. I have a pile of books at home right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...