Skip to main content

The Rock and the River


The best fiction is the kind that allows you to walk in the shoes of a person whom you could never be otherwise. This is one of those books.

Sam is growing up during the Civil Rights movement in Chicago. His father is an important figure in Dr. King's work, and his older brother has become a member of the Black Panther Party.

Sam sees two versions of everything. Should he follow his father's nonviolent methods of protest or his brother's more hands-on, gun-toting way. Sam's family lives in an affluent suburb of Chicago, but his girlfriend (the spunky Maxie) lives in the projects. Should he be the rock or the river?

The writing in this novel was wonderful, never lecture like, and serves as an eye opener for readers. I would have liked a little more of a historical background in the beginning of the book, but there is a nice history in the back pages. My concern there is that a reader unfamiliar with the history of the Civil Rights Movement may not understand the setting or why events occur.

I was struck by several scenes, but the one that stood out the most for me was when Sam went into the hospital to buy a pair of mittens. The racist shopkeeper puts Sam through hell, but Sam shows his excellent character by handling the jerk with grace.

Later, when riots break out over the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., Sam throws a brick through a shop window because it felt better than not doing anything.

The climax is realistic and unfortunate. Sam comes into his own by the end of the novel.

I loved that Sam valued his family and his education. I also admired him for his work in the community, and the reader is left with the feeling that Sam will continue this work.

Bravo to Magoon for creating such a wonderful character in Sam, and for allowing readers to dip into this era of American history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...