Skip to main content

Review: Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Witchlanders
By Lena Coakley
Out: now
Review copy: NG
Stars: 4 out of 5

It actually took me a month to read this. I started out all gangbusters: probably did the first 200 pages in a night, them whammo.
It just slammed to a halt in the middle.
There is wonderful world building in this novel, and I enjoyed it, but when it came time for both sides to meet it sort of felt like a buddy comedy gone wrong. Then, during the hurricane, I picked it back up, and from part 3 on it was all action.

Two cultures, divided by a great war, have remained apart for a generation. Now, a threat to restart the war has drawn together enemies who must work together-or everyone will die.

That is the main premise.
However, under all of that is what was, for me, the real story: a family that is being torn apart by drug addiction and mistakes of the past.
Skyler, the daughter, is a strong character and I almost wish this had been her story. I found Ryder to be a little mean at times. On the flipside I found Falpian has many layers and grows through the novel.
I have decided I want to own a dreadhound (another creature from the book). I also loved all of the magic (and its limitations) in the story.
Overall a very successful fantasy novel! Perfect for readers who just are not ready to tackle Game of Thrones yet.
A note about the cover: this is a very male-centric story. I think many of my male members of the TBC would read it, but the cover is very feminine. The sword and the red cloth work, but the ice princess is a little out there. This is not a romance!

Comments

DevouredShannon said…
I am glad to see your review on this. I really thought it was mainly about a girl and probably a romance based on the cover. I might have to give this one another chance. I had it for review but I think I ended up not getting to it. Knowing that it has a male main character makes me want to read it even more, if for no other reason than a change of pace!

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...