Skip to main content
In my quest to read more Middle Grade books, I am trying to read many of the books that folks think may win the 2012 Newberry. I am working my way along this ongoing  list.

Today, I would like to share my thoughts on Sparrow Road by Sheila O'Connor.

This book was not for me.

First, the History major in me was going crazy trying to place this novel in time. Here is my mathematical formula for narrowing this down:

First, no mention of cellphones or internet= time <1995
Mama's "hippie" stint in Amsterdam= time >1969
Several mentions of "paisley" and peasant blouses= 1970's
Raine is 12, going on 13 + Mom (hippie)= late 70's to early 80's
Final result= 1978-1989
Still, it is a range.
Next, my major, major problem with this story is that it features a bunch of non-functioning adults who rely too much on a 12 year-old. A 12 year-old that they do not tell the truth to, and then expect her to make mature decisions. HUH? Several times, I wanted to reach into this book and punch the mother. Was she not the most immature woman EVER? She sneaks her kid away from her loving grandfather, without telling her why, tells Raine her father wants to meet her, and then dumps the whole thing in the kid's lap. No one, with the exception of Diego, ever asks Raine how she feels or if she is okay. It is all about their own agendas!
Josie, another grown woman, involves Raine in a project to reunite the orphans of Sparrow Road, Viktor gives Raine a job watching a woman who is loosing her mental capacities, and everyone assumes that if Raine is busying working on "art" she will grow as a person. How about treating her like one?
Even the ending (not really a spoiler), Mama asks Raine if they should stay at Sparrow Road, or return to the city. In this way, Mama would not have to be a "waitress" anymore. What?!?! How about what is best for your kid, lady?
I cannot think of one kid I know from the library, or my own daughters who could appreciate this story. Is it a thinly veiled criticism of the foster care system, a reflection on single parenting? Who knows.
What I did love was Raine. Why did I love her? Because I am an adult. She speaks and thinks like an adult. She has more empathy for the ghosts of  orphans in the attic, than the adults around her have for her. So, as a child reader, could they relate to Raine? Would this story have made more sense if Raine had been 15 or 16, I think it would have.
Well, it least it gave me something to think about.
Newberry worthy? I don't think so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...