Skip to main content

Review: Blood Wounds

 Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Review copy: from tour
Out: now
Stars 4 out of 5

This was a tough read.  I want to call it realistic and “gritty”. While I am sure it is gritty, I am not so sure it is realistic. It could happen.  Willa’s family situation is very, very different.  She has a stepfather  who cares very much for her, and two stepsisters. The stepsisters have a very wealthy mother, so Willa has watched her sisters be handed the best of the best their whole lives, while she makes do with the leftovers.
I am all for more fiction about poorer families, I am personally so sick of reading about super rich teens. In this economic climate, I doubt highly that most of my library kids can relate to expensive fashions and handbags that cost more than mortgage payments.
Willa tries to connect to the roots of her parents, but everything is complicated by the actions of her father.
This book is about finding where you belong, and about who belongs to you.
I had one issue with this story, and one warning.
Pfeffer’s fans, who love her previous series, may not get this new direction and topic. Then again, they were gritty and realistic renderings of a dystopian tale, so perhaps they will love it.
The complaint: Something very fairy tale happens to Willa at the end of this book that I thought was out of place and just too easy an ending.  As I read, I wanted to see Willa overcome all of this, I did, but what happens is far-fetched and rang as too convenient.  

Really recommended for teens who enjoy crime dramas, realistic fiction, and biographies of struggling childhoods (such as Glass Castle, or A Stolen Life).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...