Skip to main content

Making Ornaments for Christmas Presents!

 My daughter and I found these awesome plastic ornaments at Walmart for .84 each. We grabbed three and both said (at the same time) Doctor Who ornaments! We needed one Doctor Who for the house, one for a gift, and the third we decided to make Minecraft themed.



I had a pile of useless Scrabble tiles laying around, so I printed a bunch of images in squares. To size them, I created a square in publisher the exact size of a tile and measured each image on the square before moving on to the next one.




 Then, I went on a glitter hunt. Warning! I found the perfect Minecraft green in a very fine glitter, but it turns out fine glitter is the last thing you want for an ornament like this. Seriously, the chunkier the better!
  The images were cut out and modge podged onto the Scrabble tiles. I made larger images and modge podged them onto the front of the ornament (I wanted them on the back of the ornament, but the plastic created some sort of warping effect that made the image look weird- so they went on the front).

Here they are in all of their shaken glory. I like the fact that every time you handle the ornament the urge to shake it reveals something different. There are four different images on tiles in the Who ornament, and six in the Minecraft ornament.

And here is the one we made for the house already on the tree!


Very, very simple! Have a Very Nerdy Christmas.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love these. Thanks for the idea!

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...