Skip to main content

How to Make a Sharknado for Your Shark Craft

 I have had an insane amount of fun this summer, but I always try to do something for Shark Week. This year I called it Shark Lab and we are making three crafts I have never done with the kids before.

But for ME, I wanted a Sharknado.
Inspired by this post, and I tried several different dish soaps and NONE of the tornadoes looked as good as they did in this lady's posts. She must have magic soap, but it really works!

Then I went to three stores to find either plastic sharks that would be light enough to float and not just sink to the bottom of the jar and/or shrinky dink material (make my own damn sharks!) Both hunts were fail, so I made them myself using  a template I cannot find again. Sorry.


 I flipped the images, cut them out, glued them together and then book-taped the hell out of them! Presto, waterproof.

The jar needed something....so I made a small label with
"Sharknado" bookended with some fancy orange chainsaws and voila!

One Sharknado for the parents to play with while the kids are making crafts today.

Oh, what are we making?
Banana Sharks


 Shark Frames
and

Shark Teeth necklaces out of air dry clay.
Awesomesauce.


And what are we reading?
I Am a Shark by Stille
and
I Am A Shark by Shea (he's one of my favorites)

I'm expecting 30-ish attendees and plan to have some real fun with this one. The age group on this one is 6-12, but I know I'll have a bunch of 5-year-olds sneak in, because 5-year-olds are ninjas, and I respect that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...