Skip to main content

Review: One Hundred Candles by Purnhagen







One Hundred Candles will be published: Feb. 22, 2011
Goodreads link.
This book is the second in a series. See my review of the first book here.
5/5 stars






First, I love this series. I love Charlotte. She is very smart and quite courageous. A one-sentence recap of the story-so far: Mom and Dad hunt ghosts and Charlotte is better at attracting deadly demons than hot guys at school.

I have never heard of the one hundred candle game (ritual?) that begins this book. I did, being a librarian, investigate some more online and there are variations on how to play but it sounds like fun. And here I had thought me and my friends had covered all of the usual sleep over party games: light as a feather, Ouija board, frozen bras....




Poor Charlotte has, this time, attracted something "worse than" a demon, a cute football player, and a bunch of hauntings at school. I thought the pacing of this book was great. I also adore how, even though Charlotte is dealing with many things, the minor characters run independently of her and have their own lives (Jared with the memorial for example). I really recommend these titles to mystery fans as YA mystery is lacking. Like Scooby Doo, the hauntings are usually solved with humans behind them, but unlike Scooby Doo there are "real" supernatural creatures at work here too.


Two things: the ending cut off. Seriously, I went back to the source to see if my egalley file was incomplete, it wasn't. It didn't feel like a cliffhanger, it felt like the author ran out of time. And, two, Noah needs to be a little more....more. Yeah, he is supportive (and hot?) but except for complaining about his mom, he's kind of a non-entity. Man up, Noah!!! Get proactive. I know it's hard when the female character is so strong ...but you can do it.

ARC from netgalley. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...