Skip to main content

What I Do When I'm Not Reading


Yeah, well, what I do in the minutes I am not reading (all twenty-six of them) is watch Doctor Who, Torchwood, Lost, and Life On Mars. As I have seen everything but the new episodes, I can multi-task while they are on. When I am in school, I have very little free time, and it goes without saying that the kids always come first. Out of the time I have to myself, if I don't have homework to do, like now, I invent projects for myself to do. I love to craft, but I don't enjoy any kind of work where I am trapped in a chair (like knitting or cross stitch). As pretty as it is, it just makes me feel old to do it (despite listening to audio books while knitting). I figure I'll knit when I'm old-or in case the world ends and I need to knit my kids sweaters. It is a valuable skill. Speaking of skills, I regret not learning a musical instrument when I was younger, and I would like to remedy that. I am also unable to cook, but am blessed with a mother who can cook like a demon. The girls are learning from her, so hopefully, I will never have to burn a dinner again-so long as one of my children lives with me forever.

Back to my Doctor Who obsession: I remember being a little kid in a market place and some guy had a stall of Doctor Who merchandise-posters and the lot. The guy resembled the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons only with a much longer beard. I remember deciding that people who watched Doctor Who must be the biggest DORKS on the face of the planet. Flash forward twenty years and here I am watching Doctor Who and actually caring whether or not Captain Jack will become the Face of Boe in a million years or not. So I am Queen Dork, but in my defense, Doctor Who is actually much, much hotter than he was. The special effects are awesome, sans fishing wire and aluminum foil. And normal television is just so damn boring. So I rest my case. Be kind and wait until I pass by to whisper, "dork."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ive started watching the DW confidential stuff, it's actually pretty interesting. And you get to see more of Tennant, always a good thing.
All my TB Doctor stuff got erased so I'm a little sad :( But I've started re-watching LoM so it helps to fill the void.
And knitting does not make you old as long as you can still wield the needles as weapons. I find that pointing the smaller pointy ones at the eyes (and other soft parts) of mockers silences them pretty quickly :)
Andrea said…
I edit my page using HTML instead of page elements in blogger. You're not an idiot! I was a computer geek in high school and learned HTML for fun (weird, I know). The code is < s >yourtexthere< /s > but don't put spaces in between the < & >..it won't let me publish the post with HTML tags. It's called a strikeout. Hopefully you can use it with page elements!

Popular posts from this blog

Teddy Bear Storytime

Tonight's storytime followed the same format I use for all of my day storytimes as I have temporarily suspended my idea of doing storytime in reverse in order to get the kids sleepy. They only seem to run out into the library to pick out movies and books and the effect is lost. So here is what we did tonight. Our theme was teddy bears, but our night storytime is always wear jammies, bring a lovey, and low action. My opening song is Hello Bubbles which I learned from Read Sing Play here . BTW this woman is a storytime goddess and I have picked up many great ideas on her blog. Story the 1st: The Red Hat by Lita Judge  Why? Because I want to get across to my kids that books do not always have to have words in order for us to "read" them, and I want to give pre-readers a chance to feel proud they finished a book on their own. I plan to try to read or highlight at least one wordless read for the next couple of storytimes. Flannel Board: Ten in the Bed I used a mod

Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories

This post is my progress report on my self-challenge to read all of the 2017  Nebula nominees! So far, I have completed the short story category and most of the the novelettes. I have 3 novellas and 3 novels to go. Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories What fun! I would never have read any of these stories on my own, although I expect some of these will show up in some future anthologies. I have one personal gripe, and this will come up again in another category, and that is the death of the horror genre. Because they have just killed "horror" and lumped scary stories in with science fiction and fantasy, we get stories like Sabbath Wine trying to compete with Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies and it's not fair. It really is apples and oranges. Don't believe me about horror? Go find the horror section in the Barnes and Noble. Go ahead, I'll wait.       Griping over, this selection of stories was AWESOME and heavy on the fantasy stories. Seasons and Ward

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.