Skip to main content

Well Read? So what.

Instead of doing classwork this morning, or volunteering (I'm in grad school-taking two classes this quarter, and I volunteer multiple times a year for multiple causes) I spent the morning pondering this article. To break it down, the author questions what it means to be well read and why it is important.
So, to clarify, is being well read having read a percent of The Best Books Ever list (not a real list)? What percent is well read: 80% of the list? 40% of the list? More importantly, what does it matter?
I consider myself to be well read, but my definition has more to do with the idea of reading the choice titles from every genre. I don't like romance novels or really deep science fiction, but I have read Asimov and Austen.
One would think that my being well read would help in my job at the library. The truth is many of the folks I work with could not be considered "readers" let alone "well read" and they function just fine working the card catalog. Just because I know the book (because I read it) and know where it is on the shelf does not make my job at the library easier-I just feel it improves the patron's experience. But does the patron care that I read that book? Do they care that I thought it was a waste or time or the greatest book ever? Probably not. Would you want the grocery clerk reviewing your purchase of cereal at the check out counter? No, I keep my opinion to myself.
Being well read does help me, but not in ways that you would expect. For example, I get more enjoyment out of the allusions in The Simpsons. I know the reference is from a book. I see the humor in some t shirts, while others scratch their heads.
Has being well read helped my financial situation-nope, in fact it has hurt. Everytime I have to buy a book the library does not own, that is less money I have to invest.
Has being well read made me the life of the party? No, in fact my Charles Darnay jokes are met with blank stares and I would do better watching Dancing with the Stars as conversation topic.

Should I just quit, and spend the many hours I read exercizing instead? Hell, no. Because no matter what being well read has NOT done for me what it has given me is priceless. My reading skills are gold medal. I have the ability to plow through Shakespeare as well as Vampire Academy. Reading has broadened my world. I wish I could reach in my brain, erase Cloud Atlas, and read it again for the first time. I have walked in many people's shoes, and I have empathy and a love of human nature. I can look at a beautiful landscape and think about how Alice Hoffman might describe it.
In the end, being well read makes me a better person.
I want to share this with you. Here is another great article about being well read (from a list). Here is the BBC list. And, in case you find it is important but still don't have time to read, here is a link to an article that will help you fake it.

Now, tell me what you think. Are you well read? Does it matter? Does it matter that you read at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teddy Bear Storytime

Tonight's storytime followed the same format I use for all of my day storytimes as I have temporarily suspended my idea of doing storytime in reverse in order to get the kids sleepy. They only seem to run out into the library to pick out movies and books and the effect is lost. So here is what we did tonight. Our theme was teddy bears, but our night storytime is always wear jammies, bring a lovey, and low action. My opening song is Hello Bubbles which I learned from Read Sing Play here . BTW this woman is a storytime goddess and I have picked up many great ideas on her blog. Story the 1st: The Red Hat by Lita Judge  Why? Because I want to get across to my kids that books do not always have to have words in order for us to "read" them, and I want to give pre-readers a chance to feel proud they finished a book on their own. I plan to try to read or highlight at least one wordless read for the next couple of storytimes. Flannel Board: Ten in the Bed I used a mod

Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories

This post is my progress report on my self-challenge to read all of the 2017  Nebula nominees! So far, I have completed the short story category and most of the the novelettes. I have 3 novellas and 3 novels to go. Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories What fun! I would never have read any of these stories on my own, although I expect some of these will show up in some future anthologies. I have one personal gripe, and this will come up again in another category, and that is the death of the horror genre. Because they have just killed "horror" and lumped scary stories in with science fiction and fantasy, we get stories like Sabbath Wine trying to compete with Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies and it's not fair. It really is apples and oranges. Don't believe me about horror? Go find the horror section in the Barnes and Noble. Go ahead, I'll wait.       Griping over, this selection of stories was AWESOME and heavy on the fantasy stories. Seasons and Ward

Nebula Nominees-Novella

Uh-oh! It's getting down to the wire and I have two and a half books to go. Yipe! I'm really struggling with Ninefox Gambit, my loves. It's so intense and it's so hard to read something to read text that is a block of words you recognize, but some of those words do not mean what you think they mean. Really, all of scifi has bits like that. It's just that after awhile, the reader adjusts and it lets up. This one is NOT letting up. Novellas Confession, this section was completely rigged because Every Heart a Doorway was one of my favorite books from last year. I did not know then that it was a novella, nor did I care. To be fair, I read all of the nominees and, I could cry, because some of them are SO GOOD. Runtime was everything for me. If you say science fiction story, Runtime is exactly what I think of. It's perfect. It's awesome, it  was soooooo good. I loved The Dream-Quest of Villett Boe because it featured a middle-aged woman on a quest wi