Skip to main content

Review: Hallowed by Hand

Hallowed (Unearthly #2)
By Cynthia Hand
Published: Jan. 17, 2012
Copy: AWBTours

Goodreads (to go to the listing click here): 
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning. 



I was super happy to return to Jackson Hole. My stay this time was....well, not as pleasant. 
My first problem is the same problem I have with all novels about angels. It is as if the writer wants us to buy into angels and not faith.  How can we have angels and no God? Seriously, it is as if the angels are all just employees at FedEx, waiting around for
a new order from the nameless, faceless boss. How can this be?
Even Jeffrey at one point says, Shouldn't we pray about this or 
something? In trying to make angels an individual creation that can stand alone (like vampires, zombies, and werewolves), it does not work if there is no mention/contact with God because there are no angels without God. 


It is as if the angels believe in the mythology of "Angels" but not of
God-even Satan gets a shout out here, but of course, he is an angel. 
Clara does seems to throw out bible
references every once in a while. Thank goodness for Angela, or no one 
would have ANY connection with the big guy (and really she is just researching old texts by humans). Faith through Milton? Oh-kay. 

Second, this book feels like a bill of sale to us about Christian. I 
have already thrown him over for Tucker (how could anyone NOT love Tucker?) 
Now we are supposed to throw that out the window and like Christian 
instead.  The reason? Because he sits outside of Clara's window all night a la 
Edward Cullen. Sure.

Thirdly, the thing I loved the most about Unearthly, see my review 
here, was the wonderful relationship between Clara and her mom. Well, in this book, 
that's out the window. There is tons of Mama Drama, and it wears thin given the 
plot line.

Here's the dealio: I love Clara and I love this world, so I was super 
happy to return to it. There are some great scenes in this story as well (many 
of them involving Tucker and Clara). The fact that I did not LOVE this book 
will not prevent me from being excited about a third one.

I have to wonder if this book is the victim of being rushed. I think 
some of these publishers are so worried about having hit series, that they are 
rushing these authors to produce, produce, and produce. I have noticed this in 
many series lately. I would rather a longer wait and a quality story, then 
everything jammed into a quick sale because Hallowed kind of felt like a set up 
for #3 with some guest stars thrown in.

Comments

Chel said…
Aw that's sounds quite disappointing. I really loved Unearthly and I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Also, Tucker! Nobody likes Christian for Clara, so I have no idea what the author's reason for including Christian in this book. :/
France said…
She is still a very strong character, and I love her humor. She is faced with many tough things in this book, so we see a bit of her weak side, but she is still much stronger and braver than I could ever be. What I love the most about her is how absolutely in love she is with Tucker. *Sigh* You can literally feel her love for him as you read.

Popular posts from this blog

Teddy Bear Storytime

Tonight's storytime followed the same format I use for all of my day storytimes as I have temporarily suspended my idea of doing storytime in reverse in order to get the kids sleepy. They only seem to run out into the library to pick out movies and books and the effect is lost. So here is what we did tonight. Our theme was teddy bears, but our night storytime is always wear jammies, bring a lovey, and low action. My opening song is Hello Bubbles which I learned from Read Sing Play here . BTW this woman is a storytime goddess and I have picked up many great ideas on her blog. Story the 1st: The Red Hat by Lita Judge  Why? Because I want to get across to my kids that books do not always have to have words in order for us to "read" them, and I want to give pre-readers a chance to feel proud they finished a book on their own. I plan to try to read or highlight at least one wordless read for the next couple of storytimes. Flannel Board: Ten in the Bed I used a mod

Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories

This post is my progress report on my self-challenge to read all of the 2017  Nebula nominees! So far, I have completed the short story category and most of the the novelettes. I have 3 novellas and 3 novels to go. Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories What fun! I would never have read any of these stories on my own, although I expect some of these will show up in some future anthologies. I have one personal gripe, and this will come up again in another category, and that is the death of the horror genre. Because they have just killed "horror" and lumped scary stories in with science fiction and fantasy, we get stories like Sabbath Wine trying to compete with Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies and it's not fair. It really is apples and oranges. Don't believe me about horror? Go find the horror section in the Barnes and Noble. Go ahead, I'll wait.       Griping over, this selection of stories was AWESOME and heavy on the fantasy stories. Seasons and Ward

Nebula Nominees-Novella

Uh-oh! It's getting down to the wire and I have two and a half books to go. Yipe! I'm really struggling with Ninefox Gambit, my loves. It's so intense and it's so hard to read something to read text that is a block of words you recognize, but some of those words do not mean what you think they mean. Really, all of scifi has bits like that. It's just that after awhile, the reader adjusts and it lets up. This one is NOT letting up. Novellas Confession, this section was completely rigged because Every Heart a Doorway was one of my favorite books from last year. I did not know then that it was a novella, nor did I care. To be fair, I read all of the nominees and, I could cry, because some of them are SO GOOD. Runtime was everything for me. If you say science fiction story, Runtime is exactly what I think of. It's perfect. It's awesome, it  was soooooo good. I loved The Dream-Quest of Villett Boe because it featured a middle-aged woman on a quest wi