Skip to main content

Fever Review

Hi welcome to the Fever tour, hosted by Around the World Arc Tours! I think it is so exciting when a bunch of people get together to talk about something they love: like this series. Welcome, and feel free to poke around a bit. I talk about what I am reading, and the crafts I make with my library kids.

Fever
By Lauren DeStefano
Published: Out now!
Review copy: from tour

    I was so excited to be a part of the tour for this book. It has been on my must read list since I closed the cover on Wither. I was very excited to find out what happened to Rhine and Gabriel. You can read my review of Wither here, in which I compared Rhine to Katniss and the overall world to The Handmaid’s Tale.
    As always, I am completely impressed with DeStefano’s highly visual descriptions of places and people. Smell is a large part of Fever as well. I could see the book as a movie in my head.
    Sadly, for me, Fever did not enchant me the way the first book did. Now out in the world, and free of the household of Vaughan and Linden, Rhine and Gabriel run into many unsavory characters. This started to grate on me. I began to wonder why they left in the first place! Many of the situations they find themselves in are made better by the fact that Rhine is so beautiful and I am the kind of reader that likes a character who relies on her wits more than her looks. I began to wonder how much worse this world would have been for an average looking girl.
    The world made sense in Wither, and here I was more than a little confused. The landscape seems desolate and barren; yet,  we run into kettle chip delivery trucks. Some characters are living in extreme poverty, and others seem to have a grocer down the street.
    Overall, this feels like a waiting room for the real story, which I expect will continue in the third book. I hope something of drastic importance happened here and all will be revealed later.
The foreshadowing for many of the story lines is heavy, but nothing really happens. Rowan, we find out, may not be as wonderful as Rhine remembers him. New labs for research of a cure are announced and mad bombers protest. 
    So the wait for book three begins.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teddy Bear Storytime

Tonight's storytime followed the same format I use for all of my day storytimes as I have temporarily suspended my idea of doing storytime in reverse in order to get the kids sleepy. They only seem to run out into the library to pick out movies and books and the effect is lost. So here is what we did tonight. Our theme was teddy bears, but our night storytime is always wear jammies, bring a lovey, and low action. My opening song is Hello Bubbles which I learned from Read Sing Play here . BTW this woman is a storytime goddess and I have picked up many great ideas on her blog. Story the 1st: The Red Hat by Lita Judge  Why? Because I want to get across to my kids that books do not always have to have words in order for us to "read" them, and I want to give pre-readers a chance to feel proud they finished a book on their own. I plan to try to read or highlight at least one wordless read for the next couple of storytimes. Flannel Board: Ten in the Bed I used a mod

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories

This post is my progress report on my self-challenge to read all of the 2017  Nebula nominees! So far, I have completed the short story category and most of the the novelettes. I have 3 novellas and 3 novels to go. Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories What fun! I would never have read any of these stories on my own, although I expect some of these will show up in some future anthologies. I have one personal gripe, and this will come up again in another category, and that is the death of the horror genre. Because they have just killed "horror" and lumped scary stories in with science fiction and fantasy, we get stories like Sabbath Wine trying to compete with Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies and it's not fair. It really is apples and oranges. Don't believe me about horror? Go find the horror section in the Barnes and Noble. Go ahead, I'll wait.       Griping over, this selection of stories was AWESOME and heavy on the fantasy stories. Seasons and Ward