Skip to main content

Review: The Long Way to A Small, Angry Planet

I had originally planned to make September all about women who write SciFi and Fantasy, or a blending of both a la N.K. Jemisin, who I believe is a goddess. Except, you know, life happened.

I did manage to read this and I have to tell you, it's frakking awesome with a capital A. It helps that I was in the middle of a big life change and needed something light and engaging.

The crew of the Wayfarer are basically the construction workers of the universe. They create wormholes that will be used as shortcuts on the highways of space travel. We begin with the addition of Rosemary, a human, to the crew in the position of clerk. The crew is an stew of different species, all of whom have interesting back stories and multilayered personalities.
The plot moves along really quickly, even the overarching plot of traveling across the universe to a newly recognized alien government to create a wormhole happens in a timely manner. Nothing is drug out here, and while I normally do not mind a bit of introspection, I appreciated the pace. It's just a fun, fun novel.

I think it put me in mind of Farscape, before Farscape went insane with shoving Chiana down our throats. What the frell? That show was awesome until her. So, if Farscape and a distant cousin of Firefly had a baby, it might resemble The Long Way.

I am still new to this genre but I have to mention something I have noticed. Reading Scifi is good for my feminist soul. In scifi, it's not uncommon to run into female captains, pilots, world leaders, etc. Their authority is never in question because of their sex. Never. It's almost as if the future is this place where we have gotten beyond all of the bullshit and are worried about real problems, such as what is the role of the human species in the bigger picture? The Long Way tackles that. It also tackles species coexisting despite finding each others' customs...well...gross. And food source! It lays out the food source.

I was on page 68 when I put the book down to look up the release date of the sequel. It's that good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Lucky Leprechauns.....

Whoo hoo! Time for some lucky, Irish fun. One lucky, lucky person will win a $25 gift card to Amazon to spend on whatever your little heart desires. Rules: Fill out the form. Comments and follows are not required, but sure are nice! US only, I am just too new at this to attempt International at this point. Check out all of the blogs on the hop! There are loads of chances to win some great stuff. Thank you for entering, and please feel free to stop back and visit me anytime! Contest open: March 17, 2011 to March 20, 2011. Winner will be notified on the 21st by email. Hop to here to see the list of participating blogs! Loading...

The Perfect Giveway!

Christi the Teen Librarian and I had the great fun of meeting Ellen Hopkins in Princeton last week. I want to share this great event with a reader who would love to own an autographed copy of Ellen's latest YA novel: Perfect. This is a finished copy, not an arc. Here's the skinny. No fancy forms, no extra entries (you know, I think those things are bunk anyway!), and no hoops to jump through! *you must be 13 to enter *I can only ship to US addresses only (sorry!) *Giveaway runs until November 11 *winner will be determined by Random.org So leave a comment with your name, and a way to contact you. Follows are NOT required, but I have more giveaways planned so you may want to follow just so you have a head's up on those.

Time Enough At Last

Finding time to read seems to be an issue if you are not the type to make it a priority. Really, though, I think the major obstacle to finding time to read is not Life itself, but the television. I try to limit my TV viewing. Time is so precious to me, I can't squander hours away in front of the box. Not only am I a parent of two little girls, I work full time, and attend college full time. The best thing that ever happened to me was the invention of the digital recorder. I can tape my shows and watch them on my schedule. Some of the TV shows I find worth my time are: Torchwood, Lost, Doctor Who, Pushing Daisies, and My Name Is Earl. I'm not loyal to any of them, and a great book takes precedence over watching TV. Last year I managed to read sixty four books. This was the lowest total for me in years, but my Fall semester was reading intensive and I don't count textbooks in my final total. I also do not count my YA reads, but I read quite a lot of them to stay on top of ...