Skip to main content

Nebula Nominees-Novella

Uh-oh! It's getting down to the wire and I have two and a half books to go. Yipe!

I'm really struggling with Ninefox Gambit, my loves. It's so intense and it's so hard to read something to read text that is a block of words you recognize, but some of those words do not mean what you think they mean. Really, all of scifi has bits like that. It's just that after awhile, the reader adjusts and it lets up. This one is NOT letting up.

Novellas

Confession, this section was completely rigged because Every Heart a Doorway was one of my favorite books from last year. I did not know then that it was a novella, nor did I care. To be fair, I read all of the nominees and, I could cry, because some of them are SO GOOD. Runtime was everything for me. If you say science fiction story, Runtime is exactly what I think of. It's perfect. It's awesome, it  was soooooo good.

I loved The Dream-Quest of Villett Boe because it featured a middle-aged woman on a quest with a cat. I was left with the feeling of missing out on some element because I was not aware of the Lovecraft story (this seems to be a reoccurring thing as Black Tom has some Lovecraft connections too). The Liar was kickass. Seriously, it was similar to a Stephen King story and THAT is why I consider it horror and it should not even be competing with theses stories. I bemoaned the death of the horror genre two posts back, if you remember. Same deal here. The Ballad of Black Tom was so freaking cool. It needs it's own soundtrack. I couldn't get into A Taste of Honey-so I literally sped through it. I understand it is a story set in a world better covered in a novel from 2015 or something. I tried. I ended up listening to it on audio just to hear how some of the names were pronounced.

This post proves why this challenge is already a success. I would not have read ANY of these titles had I not challenged myself (well, I read Kij Johnson, so MAYBE if Villett Boe had shown up in a collection later on....). I was so glad to read Runtime, Black Tom, and The Liar. Obviously, my clear winner is still Doorway. I have a countdown until the sequel is published.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teddy Bear Storytime

Tonight's storytime followed the same format I use for all of my day storytimes as I have temporarily suspended my idea of doing storytime in reverse in order to get the kids sleepy. They only seem to run out into the library to pick out movies and books and the effect is lost. So here is what we did tonight. Our theme was teddy bears, but our night storytime is always wear jammies, bring a lovey, and low action. My opening song is Hello Bubbles which I learned from Read Sing Play here . BTW this woman is a storytime goddess and I have picked up many great ideas on her blog. Story the 1st: The Red Hat by Lita Judge  Why? Because I want to get across to my kids that books do not always have to have words in order for us to "read" them, and I want to give pre-readers a chance to feel proud they finished a book on their own. I plan to try to read or highlight at least one wordless read for the next couple of storytimes. Flannel Board: Ten in the Bed I used a mod

Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories

This post is my progress report on my self-challenge to read all of the 2017  Nebula nominees! So far, I have completed the short story category and most of the the novelettes. I have 3 novellas and 3 novels to go. Nebula Award Nominees 2017- Short Stories What fun! I would never have read any of these stories on my own, although I expect some of these will show up in some future anthologies. I have one personal gripe, and this will come up again in another category, and that is the death of the horror genre. Because they have just killed "horror" and lumped scary stories in with science fiction and fantasy, we get stories like Sabbath Wine trying to compete with Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies and it's not fair. It really is apples and oranges. Don't believe me about horror? Go find the horror section in the Barnes and Noble. Go ahead, I'll wait.       Griping over, this selection of stories was AWESOME and heavy on the fantasy stories. Seasons and Ward